Friday, October 16, 2009

1850 Kharn Remix

Okay I've slacked off hard core in the past months, but I'll post something I've been contemplating before I have to actually work today (gasp!)

I've been running pretty much the same chaos lineup for...well...a fairly long time (at least in the # of games played) and have come to a realization: raptors really, really shouldn't be used as anti-troop marauders.

They've had a bad habit of getting bogged down in a single melee for significant portions of many games (i.e. Kroot fight lasting 4 turns) which completely negates their mobility. Although I do love the MoK attack-output, it just isn't turning out to be worthwhile.

Here's a list that I've been looking at (may need some tweaking as this computer doesn't have army buildier and I don't exactly have my codex with me):

Khorne 1850

HQ

Kharn the Betrayer

Troops

Chaos Space Marines x10
Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist
Mark of Khorne
2x Melta
Rhino

Chaos Space Marines x10
Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist
Mark of Khorne
2x Melta
Rhino

Khorne Berserkers x7
Skull champion w/ Power fist
Personal Icon
Rhino (Kharn with them)

Plague Marines x5
Personal Icon
Plasma gun x2 (hey I still need objective sitters...)

Fast Attack
Raptor x5
Chaos Glory
Melta x2

Raptor x5
Chaos Glory
Melta x2

Heavy Support
Vindicator
Daemon Possessed
Havoc Launcher (if I have the points...I used it last game and it worked rather well)

Obliterator x3

Defiler
Extra CCA replacing the Autocannon




The basic lineup would work the same was as before, however keeping both squads of raptors in reserve. The icons would work for deepstriking them in accurately and hopefully cover a significant chunk of landscape. I've had a habit of popping my marines out of their vehicles to pop tanks, having a highly mobile devoted anti tank unit or two would free them up and allow me to focus more on capping objectives with my troop choices.

I'll ponder more on this later, time for work.

2 comments:

  1. I think if you're going to use the Raptors as expendable melta droppers, that's probably the way to do it. Keep it cheap, though you might even be able to get away without the Chaos Glory icon.

    Not sure where the points would go, but yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a second thought about dropping melta/other stuff.

    Xardian ran it a bit, and it's called the Karmoon Special (probably after the guy that started using it, or made if popular or some such).

    3xChaos termies
    Chainfist
    2 Combi-plasma
    Heavy Flamer

    It runs you 120 points. Better leadership, and while plasma is sub-optimal to melta for killing tanks, you're not so reliant on the deep-strike to be accurate to get reasonable shots off. Plus, they have a 2+ save and the ability to maim something before you drag them down.

    And, it lets you use those Chaos Terminators you've got.

    ReplyDelete